By becoming a volunteer with Blue Haven, you have the unique opportunity to make a big difference to the lives of others and…
- Meet new people and make new friends.
- Raise awareness and support (community spirit).
- Gain experience in a variety of roles.
- Explore different career and job opportunities.
- Get the relevant training and development skills.
“I am writing to express my high regard for all staff and volunteers at Blue Haven. I started volunteering on social bus outings, respite bowling and in the McKellar Wing at Blue Haven. I would like to thank my fellow volunteers for your friendliness. You all impressed me with the work you do and made me feel proud to be part of the team. Staff too have been important in my volunteering experience in terms of support and opportunities to try different jobs.” – Blue Haven Volunteer 2018
Who are you helping?
People who require the help of volunteers include older people who are frail, people under 65 with a disability, people who are transport disadvantaged, and carers of these groups of people.
People have a variety of reasons for volunteering their time and expertise with Blue Haven. Whether it’s to make new friends, wanting to use free time in a positive way, to gain confidence or make use of existing skills and expertise, we are always on the lookout for enthusiastic and compassionate people to join our extended team.
Blue Haven volunteers can choose from a wide variety of roles and we always aim to match you with an activity that fits with your reasons for volunteering. Below are a range of activities you can choose to be involved in:
- assisting people with shopping
- visiting people at home for companionship
- providing respite for carers
- “travel training”, including assisting people to understand timetables and access public transport so they can remain independent
- assisting with group outings and at a centre
- transporting people by car to medical appointments and social activities
- helping volunteer drivers by assisting people on and off the bus
- helping with administrative tasks in the office
- cooking the BBQ at a special event
- reading to the visually impaired
- supporting people with basic IT support, including using new technology such as iPads
- just saying hello and having a cup of tea.
Blue Haven Activities that require Volunteer Support!
- Provide accessible transport aimed at assisting clients to remain independent and living in their own homes. Buses and cars are used to transport clients for non-urgent medical appointments, shopping, and local day groups.
- Blue Haven provides support to carers through a number of activities including ‘ Out and About’ that runs on a Monday and Friday afternoon, for people with mild to moderate dementia. We also provide in-home respite, to give carers a break.
- The program provides social support services including social home visits, assistance with individual shopping and social bus trips.
- The aim of the centre-based care is to provide a group setting for older people that allows for structured activities designed to develop, maintain and support the capacity for independent living and social interaction.
AGED CARE HOME
- We provide the highest standard of care for residents in a safe, home-like environment operating in an environmentally and social responsible way.
We recognise the contribution our dedicated volunteers make to Blue Haven!
We host regular morning teas and invitations to Blue Haven events.
VOLUNTEER NOW. Please note that all Blue Haven volunteers are required to undergo a police check and medical clearance.
For more information about becoming a volunteer please fill in the form below or
Tel: (02) 4203 4055