Q: What type of aged care supports are available?

A: We focus on supporting different areas of need that an individual may have due to a limitation in their ability to undertake tasks of daily living. We can assist with house cleaning, home and yard maintenance, personal care, social interaction and community access, carer support, shopping, and transport requirements.

Q: How do I apply for in home support?

A: Please call (02) 4203 4055 to talk to a member of our team. Anyone can make a referral for services if they have the person’s permission to do so. Eligibility for services is based on an assessment of individual circumstances against funding guidelines.

Q: Where can I get further information about in home support aged services?

A: For further information visit the My Aged Care website at www.myagedcare.gov.au or phone 1800 200 422.

Q: Who is eligible for in home support?

A: To be eligible to receive a service a person must be frail aged, a person living with a disability 65 years and younger, a carer of these groups of people, or be transport disadvantaged. Younger people with disabilities and their carers are also eligible.

Q: How much will in home support cost?

A: A contribution is requested for services. No one will be refused service due to an inability to pay. As fees vary depending on assistance, Service Coordinators can be contacted to discuss on (02) 4232 0475.

Q: How do I pay for service?

A: You will be sent a monthly account that can be paid in person at Kiama Municipal Council’s Administration Building in Manning Street Kiama, over the phone with credit card, or by mail by cheque or Money Order made payable to Kiama Municipal Council. BPAY is also available.

Q: Are in home support workers covered by insurance?

A: All Blue Haven Care In Home Support team members are required to have a police check, workers compensation and public liability insurance. All contractors used are managed by Kiama Council who ensures they provide independent assurance that the contactors that are engaged are legally compliant to provide the required services.

Q: What kinds of disability care supports are available?

A: We focus on supporting different areas of need that an individual may have to assist in undertaking tasks of daily living. We can provide assistance with house cleaning, home and yard maintenance, personal care, social interaction and community access, carer support, shopping, transport and case management.

About Home Care Packages

Q: What is a Home Care Package?

A: If you want to stay in your own home as you get older, but need some help with things such as cleaning and preparing meals, transport so that you can go shopping or attend appointments, personal care or assistance with monitoring medication a Home Care Package may be for you.

Home Care Packages provide coordinated services tailored to meet your specific care needs. A Home Care Package provides services that can help you to stay at home for as long as possible, and give you choice and flexibility in the way that care and support is provided to you.

Q: How do I access a Home Care Package?

A: The Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) will approve you for a Home Care Package. After you have been approved for a Home Care Package you can call Blue Haven Care on 4232 4319. Blue Haven Care will then help you plan your package based on your specific needs. You can contact ACAT directly:

  • Commonwealth Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222 for contact details for your local ACAT, or
  • The Aged Care Information Line on 1800 500 853.

Q: What area do I have to live in to receive a Home Care Package from Blue Haven Care?

A: Blue Haven Care provides Home Care Packages to people living in the Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama Local Government Areas.

Q: What fees do I have to pay?

A: The Australian Government pays for most of the aged care services delivered in Australia. However, people with higher incomes may be asked to contribute towards the cost of their Home Care Package. Depending on your income, you may be asked to pay an income-tested care fee as determined by Centrelink (Australian Government). This is in addition to a basic fee.

The maximum basic fee is 17.5% of the single person rate of the basic  Age Pension. The amount your service provider may ask you to pay will vary with your financial circumstances; however, there are limits in place. You can use the Home Care Fee Estimator on the My Aged Care website: http://www.myagedcare.gov.au/fee-estimator/home-care to help you estimate what costs your Home Care Package provider may ask you to pay.

Q: How will I manage my service budget?

A: As all Home Care Packages will be offered on a consumer directed care basis by 1 July 2015, Blue Haven Care service coordinators will work with you in developing a service plan that meets your needs and help you to manage these services within your individual budget comprising your Government subsidy and any fees you are paying.

Q: What types of services are provided under a Home Care Package?

A: The types of services provided under a Home Care Package will depend on your needs. Your home care provider coordinates care and services to support you at home.

A range of services may be provided under a Home Care Package, including:

  • Personal services – such as help with showering or bathing, dressing and mobility.
  • Support services – such as help with washing and ironing, house cleaning, gardening, basic home maintenance, home modifications related to your care needs, and transport to help you do shopping, visit your doctor or attend social activities.
  • Clinical care – such as nursing and other health support including physiotherapy (exercise, mobility, strength and balance), services of a dietitian (nutrition assessment, food and nutrition advice, dietary changes) and hearing and vision services.

Q: How do I know if a Home Care Package is right for me?

A: Ask yourself these questions:

  • are you an older person who needs some help to stay in your own home?
  • are you struggling with some aspects of living at home, but you’re still able to manage most of the time?
  • if you don’t get some help at home, do you think you may have to go into an aged care facility before you’re ready?
  • are you a younger person with a disability, dementia or other special care needs that are not met through specialist services?

If you answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then you may be eligible for a Home Care Package. There is no minimum age for accessing a Home Care Package, but you will need to be assessed as eligible by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

About Carers & Respite Care

Q: Who is a carer?

A: A carer is someone who provides unpaid personal care, assistance and support to people of all ages who have a disability, medical condition, mental illness, terminal illness, an alcohol or drug issue, or who are frail.

Carers can be young children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, siblings, friends and neighbours. They come from every ethnicity and every region of the country. They provide an irreplaceable service to those they care for, to the community and to society as a whole.

Carers may or may not:

  • live with the person they care for
  • be the main source of care and support
  • provide care every day
  • receive the carer payment or carer allowance.

Q: What do carers do?

A: Every caring situation is different. Most carers would agree that at times caring is physically and emotionally demanding, and at other times it is enjoyable and rewarding. Primary carers often provide 24-hour care and support to someone with high-care needs. They also assist with normal daily activities such as meal preparation, feeding, bathing and toileting, dressing, administering medications and supervising health care.

Non-primary carers provide extra care and support to people who are quite independent but still require some assistance. Carers help with errands, shopping, banking, housework, transport to and from appointments and social activities. In most caring situations, they are responsible for the person’s safety, health and wellbeing, while at the same time, provide comfort, reassurance and encouragement.

Q: What is respite care?

A: Respite is a form of support for carers. It gives you the opportunity to attend to everyday activities and have a break from your caring role. Respite care may be given informally by friends, family or neighbours, or by formal respite services.

Q: What types of respite services are available?

A: There are a few types of respite services available. Have a look at the types below to see which one may suit your needs and situation:

  • In home respite: available during the day and usually involves a person working as a carer who comes to your home (or the home of the person you care for) so that you can go out for a few hours, or they may take the person you care for on an outing
  • Centre-based day care: usually takes place at a day centre or club. It offers personalised structured activities, group activities or small group outings that give the person you care for a chance to talk with other people
  • Community access respite: provides activities to give the person you care for a social experience to encourage a sense of independence and social interaction, and provides you with a break. This may be provided to the individual person or as part of a group setting.